Pathetic USA Rice Whiners say – Stop Calling Cauliflower Rice “Rice”
Those of us who choose to reduce our intake of grains and starchy foods are turning to cauliflower rice.
USA Rice is NOT happy.
To understand the big controversy (geez) one must know what Cauliflower Rice is (just say “riced cauliflower” and there is no issue).
To be clear. This is rice.
Many Americans should stop eating the big bowls of rice thinking it is health food.
Those who eat 2 cups of rice are dumping the equivalent of 20 TWENTY teaspoons of sugar into their blood.
Who needs 80 grams of carbs? Nobody.
80 grams of carbs is like eating four SnackPack Pudding Cups.
The rice blood sugar roller coaster!
Your blood sugar spikes and drops quickly. Now you know why you have to lay on the couch after a big rice-infused dinner.
Have you tried riced cauliflower?
Buy a bag of riced cauliflower at the grocery store.
Check the frozen veggie area or the fresh produce area.
Making cauliflower rice is easy.
How to make Cauliflower Rice . . .
- Cut a head of cauliflower into florets.
- Process in a food processor until it looks like rice.
- In a skillet heat 1 Tbs Avocado Oil, butter or coconut oil and cook 1 finely diced onion.
- After a few minutes, add the RICED cauliflower to the skillet, cover, and cook about 5-8 minutes to heat.
- Season with salt and pepper or add your favorite seasoning
The Big Cauliflower Rice Controversy
The FDA has regulatory authority over food names and the lobby group, USA Rice would like to make a big stink over rice. “Only rice is rice, and calling ‘riced vegetables’ ‘rice,’ is misleading and confusing to consumers,” Betsy Ward, president of the rice industry group, USA Rice.
Problems with Rice, the Grain
- High in carbohydrates that spike blood sugar (2 cups of rice dumps 20 tsp of sugar into your blood stream).
- Conventionally grown rice is sprayed with dozens of pesticides. PANNA (Pesticide Action Network of North America) said 15 of those pesticides have been proven in multiple studies to have negative effects on human beings and/or groundwater systems. These pesticides fall into categories
- Known and probable carcinogens
- Hormone disruptors
- Developmental or reproductive toxins
- Metal contamination – Rice has the ability to pull unwanted metals from the soil including arsenic and cadmium. Chronic exposure to arsenic and cadmium can cause health problems.
- Anti nutrients like Phytate – Phytate in rice bran binds minerals so that they cannot be absorbed. White rice is better than brown rice since the bran is removed. Yes, you can soak and ferment brown rice and wild rice to improve the nutrition, but I don’t want to bother.
Can We Eat Rice?
Sure, if you are not trying to lose weight and you have great blood sugar control.
Buy organic rice.
Soak rice 8 hours with lemon juice, whey or vinegar and properly prepare soaked rice according to Nourishing Traditions recommendations.
Keep it to 1/2 cup per serving and be sure to add plenty of healthy fat when consuming rice (grassfed butter would be fantastic).
You Can Eat Riced Cauliflower Instead of Rice
Riced cauliflower is going to be lower in carbohydrate, so safe for those with blood sugar problems and those who wish to lose weight. It is prepared in minutes, no soaking for 8 hours required! No worries of phytates and other anti nutrients!
I guess our only worry with Riced Cauliflower is to remember to never, ever, ever call it Cauliflower Rice.
Which reminds me of another controversy brewing.
Not according to the dairy industry.
Tangled web for USA Rice – they don’t mind the plant milk that is called Rice Milk (because these products sell more rice).
USA Rice, you can’t have it both ways.
Stop Using Cosmetics with Toxins and Hormone DisruptorsFebruary 7th, 2018
Barbecue Chicken Wings – Sauce Recipe – Gluten-free, Dairy-free, PaleoFebruary 6th, 2018
Golumbki – Stuffed Cabbage – Recipe PaleoFebruary 6th, 2018
How to Find Clean, Pure, Unadulterated MakeupFebruary 2nd, 2018
Tamiflu Side Effects – Should You Get Tamiflu if you get the flu?February 2nd, 2018