Carb Cravings & Solutions
Are you trying to improve your health by eliminating sugar and grains from your diet?
In the beginning many people struggle with carb cravings not realizing that grains and sugar are as addicting as drugs.
When I work with people helping them improve their nutrition, I encourage them to BE ALL IN!
Cheating – even a nibble of bread or a brownie – can set you back in conquering carb cravings.
Usually after 5 – 7 days, the cravings die down, but not if you are continuing to eat the addictive foods here and there.
In the beginning remember a few D’s:
- Drink! Immediately drink a full glass of water when tempted. Often our hunger and cravings can be satisfied by drinking water.
- Delay! When you think you are about to eat a food that is not on your real food plan, think DELAY! Think, “maybe I’ll eat it, but for now, I’m going to put that decision off for 15 minutes.”
- Distract! When cravings hit, find an immediate distraction. Leave the area with the food and go for a walk, pick up your knitting needles, call a friend, or do some jumping jacks!
- Divert! Have healthy snacks ready. Divert the craving and eat a snack containing protein and fat if possible, like a handful of nuts. Or even, eat a spoonful of unrefined coconut oil.
- Drop! Take a drop of Peppermint Vitality on your tongue. Peppermint is known to reduce cravings. Put a drop on your palm and lick it off.
Nora Gedgaudas, nutritionist, has practical advice for dealing with the carb cravings in the first few weeks of a low carb way of eating. Supplements will help while the body is switching from being a sugar-burner to a fat-burner.
- Just ½ tsp of powdered L-glutamine under the tongue 2 or 3 times a day (or as needed) seem to be sufficient for most.
- The brain can use L-glutamine in lieu of glucose while metabolic conversions to fat and ketone burning over sugar burning are taking place.
- The additional use of 4,000-8,000 mg*, three times per day of the herb Gymnema sylvestre can improve insulin sensitivity and utterly kill carb cravings in almost anyone.
- Actually getting Gymnema on one’s tongue by chewing Gymnema tablets or liquid can even destroy your ability to so much as taste sugar for a few hours—a cruel (perhaps) but effective tool in indulgence management….suitable for curbing all sweet temptations at holiday parties.
- I see both L-glutamine and Gymnema as essentially temporary “bicycle training wheels” for that “sugar burning” to “fat burning” metabolism transition period.
Where do I buy 4,000mg Gymnema sylvestre?
Gedgaudas recommends 4,000 – 8,000 mg, three times a day. Most people ask, “Where do I buy this strength?”
Gymnema Sylvestre extract is often standardized to 25% gymnemic acids.
- Typically, capsules of 300 – 500 mg of standardized extract are used and most users take one capsule with meals, one to three times a day.
- While the MediHerb product from Standard Process lists on the front of the label 4g or 4,000 mg of Gymnema, reviewing the supplement facts label you will find that this product is 400mg of extract containing 100mg of gymnemic acid.
Nature’s Plus Herbal Actives Gymnema Sylvestre leaf extract is uniformly standardized to a minimum of 75% (225 mg) gymnemic acids.
Each capsule, providing the greatest concentration of active botanical principles, maximizes the synergistic benefits of this Ayurvedic leaf, a key component of the ancient Indian system of health and well-being.
Other herbs can be added to the supplement for enhanced benefits.
Baseline Nutritionals offers Glucotor v.2 – Blood Sugar Support Supplement with Nopal Cactus, Konjac Mannan, Gymnema, Cinnulin, Bitter Melon & More.
- Enhances the body’s ability to metabolize glucose and fats.
- Supports pancreas and liver health
- Helps your body smooth sugar spikes from high glycemic meals
- May mimic the life extension potential of calorie restricted diets and improve glucose metabolism
- Contains Cinnulin PF and Gymnema Sylvestre to support healthy blood sugar levels
- All Natural, Non-GMO, Vegan/Vegetarian Formula
Nopal Cactus, Konjac Mannan, Gymnema Sylvestre 25%, Fenugreek Extract 60-80%, Cinnulin PF ® , Bitter Melon Extract 4:1, 1% Corosolic Acid, Banaba Leaf. Other Ingredients: Vegetable Gelatin. All ingredients are either domestically sourced or selectively imported.Directions
Take 1-2 capsules 5-10 minutes before eating. Start slowly and build to desired dosage. Note: some people have a problem digesting the capsules quickly enough. If you do not get the results you expect, try taking the Glucotor v.2 out of the capsules and having it with a little applesauce or mixed in a small glass of water.
Biomed Res Int. 2014; 2014: 830285.
Published online 2014 Jan 6. doi: 10.1155/2014/830285
“Gurmarin acts in a similar manner by interfering with the ability of taste buds on the tongue to differentiate between sweet and bitter. Hypoglycemic effect of gymnemic acids includes a cascade of events starting from modulation of incretin activity which triggers insulin secretion and release. It also increases regeneration of pancreatic islet cells to enhanced enzyme mediated uptake of glucose. This process decreased glucose and fatty acid assimilation in the small intestine and interferes in the ability of receptors in mouth and intestine to sensation of sweetness.”
Runny nose, watery eyes? You know that spring has arrived.March 3rd, 2017
How to Unclog Your Drain without ChemicalsFebruary 27th, 2017
March Fresh Health Start – 21 Days to Wellness & Weight LossFebruary 25th, 2017
Oxalic Acid and Kidney Stones and Mineral AbsorptionFebruary 22nd, 2017
Carb Cravings & SolutionsFebruary 20th, 2017