Can’t I have my Chocolate Soy Milk?
Hi Erin, I do so like chocolate soy milk from WalMart or Kroger……….yummy to me, yet you say that anything soy is not good for you……aarrgghh…I like my soy chocolate milk
Well, I guess there are worse things to drink … like soda, Hershey’s syrup in milk, and Ovaltine! I wrote about soy in general in past newsletters.
Soy has isoflavones that can act like estrogen.
- It is extremely harmful to infants when fed soy formula and it is very risky for adults to consume unfermented soy.
- The phytic acid in soy can block the absorption of calcium, magnesium, iron and zinc. Soy is very hard to digest and may cause GI distress. Soy is one of the top 8 allergens.
- Soy can cause problems with your immune system and your thyroid gland. Eventually, this could lead to hypothyroidism – fatigue, brain fog, sluggishness.
Chocolate soy milk probably is very tasty! It is loaded with sweeteners.
I’m not sure what brand you like, but all the brands I checked had several kinds of added sugar including cane sweetener, brown rice sweetener, barley malt, etc.
- For an 8 oz glass of chocolate soy milk you are getting about 5 tsp of sugar.
- This is a highly processed, hard to digest dessert, at best!
- Other ingredients might include:
Natural vanilla flavor with other natural flavors – probably not as natural as it sounds.
Natural chocolate flavor – who knows what this is?
Carrageenan – an inflammatory agent that may contain MSG and is found in ice cream, beer and toothpaste. Use fluoride-free and carrageenan-free oral care products.
For more information please read The Whole Soy Story by Kaayla T. Daniel, PhD
I have also written a fully referenced paper on soy that I am happy to share with my readers, just ask. I know this isn’t the news you wanted to hear.
Bottom line on soy milk? Adios!
There is a multi-billion dollar soy industry pumping out lots of propaganda and marketing to get folks to believe that soy is beneficial to health.
So, what should you drink?
- Herbal tea
- Green smoothies
- Make your own nutmilk
- NingXia Red (a shot in a glass of San Pellegrino)
- Dandy Blend Mocha
Getting the sugar out of your diet and cutting out the breads and flour products will cut your craving for sweet drinks.
Be healthy! You are worth it!
Does Corn Oil Promote CancerMay 11th, 2017
Aczone – Wow – Fights Acne, but May Turn you BLUE!May 9th, 2017
Need Help – Fat Burning & Weight ManagementMay 1st, 2017
Should we Drink Water with Meals?April 17th, 2017