How to Stay Healthy this Fall and Winter
Fall and winter can be difficult seasons on your physical and emotional health. The days are shorter, it is cold in most parts of the country, and colds and the flu are more prevalent.
During any season there are a few basics that can help to maintain optimal physical and mental health, such as eating healthful foods, drinking lots of water, exercising regularly, and getting enough sleep. However, you may be doing everything “right” and still need a little extra support to get you through those short winter days and long winter nights.
Now is the time to build your immune system and build your natural medicine chest to be ready if the common cold hits.
At the first hint of a possible dip in my wellness I hit it hard with Vitamin C, essential oils and other beneficial supplements.
Our family eats real food that is nutrient dense to build health. The end result is that we have managed to stay well! The girls rarely missed a day of school due to illness, so I would let them take a “mental health” day once a year, since all the other kids get to miss school all the time!
Many people asked us what we are doing to stay healthy… here’s the re-cap and some suggestions for you.
In this article I will share ideas to help you learn how to build a healthy foundation and strong immune system. You will learn which supplements to have on hand and what to do when you begin to feel sick or after you have been in an airplane or exposed to sick people.
How to eat to improve health
- Eat whole food (meat, chicken, fish, whole eggs, coconut oil, organic butter, olive oil, seeds, nuts, olives, vegetables and fruits)
- Eat clean food (free of pesticides, herbicides, hormones, antibiotics, chemicals and additives. No dyes, preservatives, nitrites, or nitrates. No added sugar, artificial sweeteners, high fructose corn syrup, artificial flavor. No MSG or hidden sources of MSG like “spices”, autolyzed yeast, hydrolyzed protein, textured protein.)
- Eliminate refined carbs like bread, cake, bagels, pasta, cereal, chips.
- Eat three meals a day and a snack or two that contain animal protein, healthy fat and vegetables.
- Enjoy some whole fruit but eliminate fruit juice, sugar drinks and flavored milk.
- Drink at least half your body weight in ounces of spring water or home-purified water. For example, if you weigh 160, drink 80 oz. of water each day.
Quick List of Supplements to use (or increase) to raise your wellness level.
For more supplement information, keep reading!
- Vitamin C – try chewing 1-2 of Super C, four times a day
- Sovereign Silver
- Oregano Oil
- Thieves essential oil
- Vitamin D3, 5000 – Increase to 10,000 IU per day during illness (always take K2 along with D3)
- Zinc (one capsule 4 times a day)
- Herbs like Olive Leaf Extract, Elderberry, Garlic, Goldenseal, Echinacea, Astragalus
- Kyolic Garlic Formula 103 Immune Formula
- Homemade Elderberry Syrup
- NingXia Red
- Life 9 Probiotic
Whether diffusing, applying topically, or taking internally, Young Living essential oils can help you strengthen your physical wellness, improve your emotional balance, and fill your home with safe, purifying products.
Here are some ways you can incorporate Young Living essential oils and essential oil-infused products into your daily routine to support your health all winter long.
First – What are essential oils?
Plant oils were highly valued and referenced in Christian religious texts. Not only were these oils used for anointing but there is a history of use for healing. Many of the oils on the market today contain synthetic ingredients and/or were extracted by methods that damage the potent constituents. Pure oils, like Young Living, are the volatile liquid that is within many shrubs, flowers, trees, roots, bushes and seeds.
While plant material itself is medicinal, essential oils are highly concentrated and far more potent than dried herbs because the distillation process concentrates the active constituents. Each oil can have anywhere from 80 – 300 or more different chemical constituents.
The extraction process is the key as high heat and high pressure break down many of the compounds within the oil. Just like ancient cultures, many people today use simple extraction techniques (cold-pressing, soaking in alcohol or water) to concentrate the powerful constituents found in plant material. The key difference between using herbs or essential oils is that of concentration.
The essential oil can be from 100 to 10,000 times more concentrated–and therefore more potent–than the herb itself. I use herbs in capsules or I make herbal infusions but I also use essential oils and key supplements to keep my immune system functioning well and to fight off unfriendly germs.
To help control the spread of germs, wash your hands frequently and incorporate the health-supporting power of any of our Thieves® products.
Diffuse Thieves essential oil blend day or night to help purify and humidify the air.
Clean household surfaces with Thieves Wipes or Thieves Household Cleaner.
Keep Thieves Waterless Hand Purifier in your car, at your desk, and in your purse or bag for a quick and easy cleansing shot. I frequently use a napkin and a small drop to clean my desktop.
- It is natural and safe to use.
- It can be used externally and internally (Oregano Vitality).
- It is known as a purifying oil.
When purchasing Oregano Oil Capsules, buy a capsule containing 55%-65% carvacrol. This is the active component in oregano oil.
Many companies will not list the carvacrol content of their oregano oil, as the potency is so low they don’t want you to know.
ImmuPower is a blend of essential oils that supports the immune system.
- ImmuPower has several powerful essential oils in the blend including Frankincense, Oregano, Clove, Cistus, and Hyssop
- ImmuPower™ is great to diffuse or apply topically to the feet and hands.
Are you new to Essential Oils?
Colloidal silver has been proven to be effective in supporting the respiratory system when trouble comes calling.
Use Sovereign Silver if around people who are sick, at the first signs of being sick, and when fighting an immune challenge.
If you feel sick take a dose every 3 or 4 hours.
A drop in the eye effectively supports the eye when goopy trouble comes.
- Follow label directions at the first sign of flu-like symptoms.
- The trick is to take it on the onset of symptoms to gain the most benefits from it.
- As with any homeopathic remedy be sure to take it away from food and drink (30 minutes before and after).
- Buy it at Wal-Mart or Amazon
What to take every day to stay healthy:
1. Quality Multivitamin
keep your digestive system in top shape – because 70% of the immune system is located in the gut!
Life 9 is great for a multiple-strain potent probiotic supplement.
3. Vitamin D3
Take 2,000 – 5,000 IU every day. Everyone in the family needs vitamin D on a daily basis for many functions of the body and to build the immune system. Most adults need D3 5000 IU during fall and winter.
It is recommended that D3 be taken along with Vitamin K2.
D3Complete contains both Vitamin D and K2 in one capsule.
4. Fish oil or Cod Liver Oil for Omega-3 (liquid or capsules)
- A daily dose of omega-3’s is essential to good health. I recommend taking enough product to equal 2,000 to 3,000mg of DHA+EPA (read the package label).
- Not only will omega-3 fats boost the immune system but there are benefits for the brain, heart, fertility, skin, joints and just about every cell
- OmegaGize is a good form in capsules.
- If you prefer liquid Cod Liver Oil try Carlson. Take 2-3 tsp per day.
5. Vitamin C
Immune System Builder
The immune system uses vitamin C for many of its routine functions.
Vitamin C is an antioxidant, working synergistically with other antioxidants to help protect the body.
Stress increases the need for vitamin C.
Super C chewable, chew 1-2 tablets four times a day.
This particular formula is a powerful immune system enhancer
Aged garlic has many additional health benefits.
I recommend this particular formula because it contains these special ingredients along with aged garlic:
- Premium Mushroom Complex (Shiitake, Maitake, Poria Cocos, Reishi and Agaricus)
- Astragalus extract (root) 100 mg *
- Oregano extract (leaf) 100 mg *
- Olive Leaf extract (Oleuropin 18%)
- Zinc shortens the duration and decreases the intensity of colds and flu if taken within 24 hours of the onset of symptoms.
- I recommend Zinc Plus, this supplement combines zinc with vitamin B6 and Vitamin C for better absorption.
8. For kids, try Berry Well to support the immune system.
9. NingXia Red – 1 or 2 ounces daily. NingXia Red is a powerful, whole body supplement. NingXia Red benefits include support for energy levels, normal cellular function, and whole-body and normal eye health. A daily shot of 1-2 ounces helps support overall wellness with powerful antioxidants
We do not have to be victims of every germ that we encounter.
I recommend building a solid foundation with clean water, nutrient dense food, and exercise.
Then begin a solid daily supplement plan, like the one mentioned above. Have essential oils and special supplements on hand so that you are ready to address any tiny symptoms or exposures before they become a full blown illness.
The “common cold” does not have to be a common experience once a healthy diet, lifestyle and supplement plan is implemented.
Is Canned Fruit Healthy?January 23rd, 2019
Will Fat Bombs Make You Fat?January 14th, 2019
Dental Floss: Toxic substance in coating linked to cancer.January 9th, 2019
My Top 5 Supplements for EveryoneJanuary 8th, 2019
Maca Powder for Hormone BalanceJanuary 4th, 2019