Don’t Eat Grocery Store Pickles – Make Your Own!
Riva Greenberg wrote, “FoodFacts reviews more than 100,000 popular packaged, non-packaged and fast foods and 20,000 ingredients. Each product or food is graded from a head-of-the-class “A” to a failing “F” based on the quality of ingredients andwhether a food offers any nutritional value.”
Claussen’s great tasting Kosher Dills are, to be polite, cucumbers taking a nasty bath.
Cucumber, water, vinegar, salt, turmeric, peppers (refined salt, processed vinegar, and tap water aren’t too scary).
The rest of the ingredients are what makes up the Pickle Nasty Bath.
Sodium benzoate – Preservative, may cause
- Asthma and allergic reactions
- Adverse affect on behavior, especially with ADHD children
Natural flavor – unknown source
- Often acts like MSG, a neurotoxin
Polysorbate 80 – Emulsifier
- Probably made from GMO Corn
- Can cause digestive upset
Oleoresin – extractions
- Chemicals like hexane and acetone are require to extract oleoresin
- Calcium chloride – curing agent, mineral salt
There are a few good brands out there like Bubbies
Available at Whole Foods
For the best tasting, gut-healing pickles, make your own pickles that are raw and lactofermented.
Make your own fabulous pickles
and enjoy a delicious way to add amazing probiotics, vitamins and enzymes to your body.
Lactofermented foods are more nutritious than the vegetables that you started with.
It is called lactofermentation, making pickles and sauerkraut the old fashioned way, without vinegar.
You can use pickling cucumbers or even regular cucumbers.
I follow Nourishing Traditions cookbook, sort of.
Easy Recipe for Lactofermented Cucumbers
- Fit whole or sliced cucumbers into a mason jar.
- Add a bottle of Suero Gold* cultured whey to the jar (you can also use 4 Tbs of whey, the yellow liquid on the top of an organic whole milk yogurt).
- Add 2 Tbs fresh dill, garlic cloves and 1 Tbs Real salt.
- Fill the rest of the jar with pure, filtered water, leaving 1 inch space at the top of the jar.
- Cover tightly and keep at room temperature for about 5-7 days before transferring to cold storage.
Eat a little lactofermented cucumbers or sauerkraut with every meal.
The beneficial organisms produced promote healthy digestion.
*Pick up the Suero Gold cleanse and you’ll have some whey to ferment veggies. With the left over 17 bottles, why not do a 3-day cleanse?
Real Food heals.
Why I Kicked My Keurig to the CurbMay 7th, 2018
Do You Love Beets but Hate to Prepare Them?May 6th, 2018
Feeding Children & Babies – Not Cereal!May 2nd, 2018
NingXia Red Starter PackApril 12th, 2018