Carb Cravings & Solutions – Supplements and Essential Oils
Are you trying to improve your health by eliminating sugar and grains from your diet?
In the beginning many people struggle with carb cravings not realizing that grains and sugar are as addicting as drugs.
When I work with people helping them improve their nutrition, I encourage them to BE ALL IN!
Cheating – even a nibble of bread or a brownie – can set you back in conquering carb cravings.
Usually after 5 – 7 days, the cravings die down, but not if you are continuing to eat the addictive foods here and there.
If you are not sure what a healthy, healing way of eating involves, then start with my book, The Reclaim Diet.
In the beginning remember a few D’s:
- Drink! Immediately drink a full glass of water when tempted. Often our hunger and cravings can be satisfied by drinking water.
- Delay! When you think you are about to eat a food that is not on your real food plan, think DELAY! Think, “maybe I’ll eat it, but for now, I’m going to put that decision off for 15 minutes.”
- Distract! When cravings hit, find an immediate distraction. Leave the area with the food and go for a walk, pick up your knitting needles, call a friend, or do some jumping jacks!
- Divert! Have healthy snacks ready. Divert the craving and eat a snack containing protein and fat if possible, like a handful of nuts. Or even, eat a spoonful of unrefined coconut oil.
- Drop! Take a drop of Peppermint Vitality on your tongue. Peppermint is known to reduce cravings. Put a drop on your palm and lick it off.
Nora Gedgaudas, nutritionist, has practical advice for dealing with the carb cravings in the first few weeks of a low carb way of eating. Supplements will help while the body is switching from being a sugar-burner to a fat-burner.
- Just ½ tsp of powdered L-glutamine under the tongue 2 or 3 times a day (or as needed) seem to be sufficient for most.
- The brain can use L-glutamine in lieu of glucose while metabolic conversions to fat and ketone burning over sugar burning are taking place.
- The additional use of 4,000-8,000 mg*, three times per day of the herb Gymnema sylvestre can improve insulin sensitivity and utterly kill carb cravings in almost anyone.
- Actually getting Gymnema on one’s tongue by chewing Gymnema tablets or liquid can even destroy your ability to so much as taste sugar for a few hours—a cruel (perhaps) but effective tool in indulgence management….suitable for curbing all sweet temptations at holiday parties.
- I see both L-glutamine and Gymnema as essentially temporary “bicycle training wheels” for that “sugar burning” to “fat burning” metabolism transition period.
Where do I buy 4,000mg Gymnema sylvestre?
Gedgaudas recommends 4,000 – 8,000 mg, three times a day. It is pretty difficult to find these high doses.
Gymnema Sylvestre extract is often standardized to 25% gymnemic acids.
- Typically, capsules of 300 – 500 mg of standardized extract are used and most users take one capsule with meals, one to three times a day.
You can choose a comprehensive supplement that includes Gymnema along with other beneficial ingredients. Here are two options.
- Gymnema (Gymnema sylvestre (leaf extract) (75% gymnemic acid)
- R-Alpha Lipoic Acid
- Many more helpful ingredients
- Item #DIA11, get 15% off at Wellevate.
Diamend 150 tabs
Diamend (Item P21614) supplies a broad spectrum of therapeutically dosed antioxidants. It is designed to provide support and balance for optimal blood sugar metabolism and maintenance, and to help maintain insulin balance within the normal range.
This is a powerful supplement with 571mg of Gymnema (75% Gymnemic Acid) and many other great ingredients. It is pricey, but you can get 15% discount by registering on my professional supplement website, here.
|Zinc (as bisglycinate citrate chelate)||14.3 mg|
|Chromium (as picolinate chloride sodium hyd.)||458 mcg|
|Coptis chinensis franch (root) (97% Berberine HCL)||571 mg|
|R-Alpha Lipoic Acid||343 mg|
|Gymnema (leaves) Extract (Gymnema sylvestre) (75% Gymnemic Acid)||571 mg|
|Bilberry (fruit) Extract 4:1 (Vaccinium myrtillus)||114 mg|
|N-Acetyl L-Cysteine||343 mg|
|Green Tea Extract (Camellia sinensis) (70% EGCG 90% catechins)||114 mg|
|Turmeric (rhizome) (Curcumin longa l.)||286 mg|
|Vanadium (as Bis-Maltolato-oxovanad BMOV vanadyl sulfate sodium hyd. )||2.9 mg|
Get The Reclaim Diet – learn how to eat to beat cravings.
How to make my version of Bulletproof CoffeeJuly 10th, 2021
Erin’s VideosJune 16th, 2021