Smoothie for a Meal: Veggie-Packed Green Protein Smoothie
Is your smoothie a glorified milkshake?
If your smoothie is made with fat-free yogurt, juice, bananas and pineapple it is really a blood sugar spiking shake instead of a meal or adequate snack.
Without fat, protein and vegetables you are missing out on key nutrients that nourish the body, fuel the brain, satiate the appetite and keep blood sugar levels even.
How to Improve Your Smoothie
Try adding quality protein, like Collagen Protein, and quality fat, like canned coconut milk and/or avocado along with some vegetables and you will have a balanced smoothie that satisfies hunger and floods the body with nutrients.
In the beginning, keep it simple when it comes to the veggies try just baby spinach. As your taste buds adjust, try adding different vegetables and using lower amounts of fruit. A few drops of SweetLeaf Stevia will help improve the flavor.
I also like adding a little vanilla or raw cacao powder.
Here is a smoothie that I made recently:
I used the Basic Smoothie recipe below plus I added 2 Carrots, 2 Celery stalks, 1 English Cucumber, 1 Tomato.
Basic Smoothie (makes two 1-quart servings or divide it into three servings)
Use organic ingredients whenever possible.
- 1 avocado
- 2 handfuls of dark green leafy veggies (I used an organic mix that includes Swiss Chard, TatSoi, Arugula, Spinach)
- 1 – 1.5 cups frozen berries (for blood sugar issues, reduce the fruit and use stevia as needed)
- 4 Scoops Collagen Protein
- Water (enough to make 2 quarts total)
Advanced Smoothie Additions
Add one or all of the following ingredients to the Basic Smoothie Recipe
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 carrots
- 1 tomato
- 1 cucumber
- 2 Tbs raw, organic seeds (flax, sunflower, pumpkin, sesame)
- 1 Tbs Hawaiian Spirulina (Like a multi-vitamin, this blue-green algae provides a variety of beneficial nutrients and protein)
- Ground Black Seed
This recipe is easily blended by the VitaMix.
If your blender is smaller or less powerful, you may not be able to blend all of the ingredients well.