How to Purify Water at Home
I have two Berkey Gravity-Fed Water Filters at home. One in the kitchen and one in the bathroom. Once you have the Berkey, your cost is just 2 cents per gallon of purified water
Berkey systems remove greater than 99.999% of viruses and greater than 99.9999% of pathogenic bacteria.
About the Big Berkey
- 2.25 GALLON CAPACITY – The portable Big Berkey Purification System effortlessly purifies water for about 1-4 people each day. The system is just 19.25” tall and 8.5” in diameter.
Get the Berkey that comes with the two Black filters and two Fluoride Filters
I didn’t realize that the fluoride filters are not included with the basic unit, so I added them later. If you are a new user, go ahead and get the whole system with 2 black filters and 2 fluoride filters included. For faster filtering, you can add 2 additional black filters and 2 additional fluoride filters.
How Long do Berkey Filters Last?
If you have 2 black filters, it is good for 6000 gallons of water. If you filter and consume 4 gallons a day, filters will last for 1500 days. That is more than 4 years.
The filters will need to be cleaned periodically when the flow slows. I remove mine and clean with a scrub sponge.
How to Clean the Berkey Filter
- Clean the filters whenever you notice a decrease in flow.
- Clean the chambers monthly and the filters at least every 3-6 months.
Cleaning Instructions for Household Use
- Empty all of the water from your Berkey system.
- Remove the top container and set it on its top on a solid surface like a table or countertop.
- Remove the fluoride filters if installed. Then remove Black Berkey element by unscrewing the wing nut that secures the Black Berkey element to the container.
- Hold the filter under the running faucet, with the exit hole pointed up.
- Using a new 3M Scotch Brite pad, carefully scrub the black surface of the filter element for several minutes. DO NOT use soap or detergents on filters
- Set the elements aside and wash your hands.
- Reinstall the filters in the system.
Travel Berkey Gravity-fed Water Filter
About the Travel Berkey
- 1.5 GALLON CAPACITY – The portable Travel Berkey Purification System effortlessly purifies water for about 1-3 people each day. The system is just 18” tall and 7.5” in diameter.
Details about the Berkey Water Purification System
- POWERFUL PURIFICATION – Berkey systems equipped with Black Berkey Purification Elements purify water—not just filter it—by removing greater than 99.999% of viruses and greater than 99.9999% of pathogenic bacteria, while also removing or dramatically reducing protozoa (such as giardia and cryptosporidium), trihalomethanes, inorganic minerals, heavy metals (including arsenic, lead, mercury, chromium), pharmaceutical drugs (including caffeine, Acetaminophen, Ibuprofen, Progesterone, Triclosan),
- ECONOMICAL, LONG-LASTING – A pair of Black Berkey Purification Elements lasts for up to 6,000 gallons before needing replacement. Black Berkey Purification Elements average just 2 cents per gallon of purified water.
- INDEPENDENT TESTING – Berkey by NMCL uses several independent third-party labs to test a broad range of potential contaminants and conducts Extreme Testing for lead and PFCs in order to show the effectiveness of our Black Berkey Purification Elements.
- DRINK CONFIDENTLY VIRTUALLY ANYWHERE – No electricity, tools or plumbing required. Travel the world, prepare for emergencies, and take control of your family’s everyday drinking water with your Berkey gravity-fed water filtration system with Black Berkey purification elements. Enjoy delicious, nourishing water from the leader in gravity-fed water solutions.
Does the Berkey Filter out Fluoride?
Yes but you will need to add PF-2 fluoride filters (a separate filter add-on). You can find the Berkey travel combo that includes the black and fluoride filters here
The Berkey Fluoride reduction elements work by adding the ability to remove the additional contaminants listed below. When threaded directly onto the Black Berkey purification elements, the fluoride reduction element effectively takes control of targeted harmful contaminants in your drinking water. These fluoride water filters work as a post filter to the Black Berkey and are compatible with all Berkey water filter systems, except the GO Berkey.
Berkey Fluoride Filters (2 pack)
- When threaded directly onto the Black Berkey purification elements the Fluoride Reduction element is an effective way to take control of targeted harmful contaminants in your drinking water.
- These fluoride water filters work as an attachment to the Black Berkey and are compatible with all Berkey water filter systems except GO Berkey and Sport Berkey.
- REPLACEMENT: Under normal conditions it is recommended that each set of two PF-2 elements be replaced after 1,000 gallons.
|Removes||▪️Up to 97% of Fluoride:|
– Sodium Fluoride
– Sodium Fluorosilicate
– Fluorosilicic Acid 1
▪️Pre-oxidized Arsenic III and Arsenic V
▪️Other Heavy Metals
|Dimensions||2.25 ” x 2.25 ” x 6 “|
|Make-up||Fluoride Filters are made of BPA-free non-leaching #5 polypropylene.|
|Lifespan||1,000 gallons per pair, or one year, whichever comes first.|
|Important Notes||1) Do not subject to freezing temperatures, high heat, or boil the fluoride water filters.|
2) Typically, the Fluoride Filters (PF-2) reduce the flow rate by 15-20%.3) When installing the Fluoride Filters, turn no more than 8 full turns.
4) You will need the same number of fluoride filters as
How to Install Berkey Fluoride Filters
Watch the videos that the company provides on their website.
Get the Quick Start Guide with Photos here.
- Remove upper chamber from filtration system and place it upside down on a counter so that the stems of the Black Berkey® purification elements are facing upward.
- With the water flow-arrow pointing away from the upper chamber (the Berkey PF-2TM elements have threads on one end only) screw the Berkey PF-2TM elements onto the stems of each (already primed) Black Berkey® element eight full revolutions. Notes: a) Do not screw on more than eight revolutions as this may damage the internal media screen. b) The flow arrow should point away from upper reservoir).
- Replace the upper reservoir onto the lower reservoir (the Berkey PF-2TM’s should now be hanging inside the lower reservoir). Fill the upper reservoir with water and let it drain into the lower reservoir. When the lower reservoir is full, discard the first batch of water, which may contain residual process dust. Your purification system is now ready for use.
Get a Stand for the Berkey
- The Berkey Stand adds style and functionality to your water filter setup. The rubberized feet are made of a non-marking, non-marring rubber that is bonded to the stand for extra durability and stability.
- These polished stainless steel stands are 6″ tall allowing you to easily fit a cup or mug beneath the spigot.
Dandelion for Liver Support and Health BenefitsFebruary 26th, 2023
Here’s a List of Options for DetoxFebruary 25th, 2023
Broccoli sprouts Help you DETOX – they have indole 3 Carbinol and SulforaphaneFebruary 25th, 2023
Is Vitamin D3 Supplementation Necessary?February 10th, 2023