How to Tame Carb and Sugar Cravings
As people transition to eating a low-carb, nutrient dense way, it is important to let go of grains and sugar. While this may seem daunting, there are ways to make the transition easier. All carbs are turned into sugar once they are digested and hit the bloodstream and our bodies get on a blood sugar roller coaster.
Are you on the blood sugar roller coaster?
- Do you have to eat every 2 hours?
- Are you constantly snacking and grazing?
- Do you get shaky, angry, and feel like you are starving if you don’t eat for a few hours?
- Do you have an energy slump after lunch requiring coffee, soda or a sugar treat to get you through the afternoon?
Sweeteners, grains, processed foods, refined flour, excess fruit and starchy vegetables are carbohydrate foods that convert into too much sugar in your bloodstream. Consuming these foods may be putting you on the blood sugar roller coaster.
The blood sugar roller coaster is stressful for your body.
The spikes in blood sugar are followed by crashes that cause your body to release the stress hormone cortisol. Over time, having high cortisol levels at the wrong time can deplete your happy brain chemicals, interrupt sleep patterns, kill brain cells and cause you to store more belly fat.
We want to eat carbs that come from non-starchy vegetables mostly with some whole fruit, seeds and nuts. Processed grains like bread, bagels, cereal, pasta, crackers and chips are turning into lots and lots of sugar and putting you on the blood sugar roller coaster.
Here are a few tips to help you as you move away from the carbs that keep you on the blood sugar roller coaster.
Bottom line: Eat a healthy low-carb breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Always include enough protein, a healthy fat and a vegetables at each meal and snack.
- Keep your blood sugar balanced to help control cravings!
- Sometimes we mistake the “I’m thirsty” signal for “I’m hungry” – – – keep up with your water and drink a big glass of water when you first get a hunger signal.
Breakfast (or lunch) ideas.
- Tired of eating eggs and sauteed veggies every day?
- Try precooked organic sausage with sweet potatoes and veggies sautéed in a pan with butter.
- Eating dinner foods for breakfast is a great option. Left over steak or chicken will heat quickly in a pan with vegetables and coconut oil.
- What about tuna salad, crab cakes or sardines! Before you think “NOPE!” try mashing sardines with Primal mayonnaise (or make your own mayo version from avocado oil or olive oil).
- Chicken salad is an easy breakfast too. Chop leftover chicken with one chopped egg, mix with a quality mayo and Real Salt. Add chopped celery if you like.
- Don’t forget your greens in a smoothie with Spirulina, spinach or kale, berries and coconut milk!
The basic plan is to include quality animal protein, healthy fat and plenty of non-starchy vegetables at every meal. As you transition, choose supplements that can help make your life easier.
- For cravings try 1 tsp of L-glutamine powder (5000 mg) up to twice a day in a glass of water (or if cravings chase you all day, try 1/2 tsp in a glass of water up to 4 times a day). Nora Gedgaudas wrote, “The brain can use L-glutamine in lieu of glucose while metabolic conversions to fat and ketone burning over sugar burning are taking place.”
- Alternatively L-glutamine can be placed directly under the tongue for fast action. 1/2 tsp 2-4 times a day.
- “Cravings will go away in about 10 minutes if you take 1000 milligrams of L-glutamine,” predicts nutritionally trained Fred Pescatore, MD.
- L-glutamine is also great for muscle recovery post-workout and healing the lining of the gut.
Chromium is a trace mineral that is important for diabetes and for people with cravings. Chromium has been shown to help the body metabolize sugars properly.
80% of us are chromium deficient!
Top 3 benefits of chromium:
- Helps decrease sweet cravings
- Helps regulate blood sugar
- Decreases total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol
- Increases HDL cholesterol
- Aids in weight loss
- Burns calories
LDA Trace Mineral Complex provides 11 essential trace elements needed for optimal health, including 200 mcg as chromium polynicotinate, a well-absorbed form of chromium.
- Iodine … 200mcg (as potassium iodide)
- Zinc … 30mg (as zinc bisglycinate chelate)
- Selenium … 200mcg (L-selenomethionine)
- Copper … 2mg (as copper bisglycinate chelate)
- Manganese … 4mg (as manganese bisglycinate chelate)
- Chromium … 200mcg (as chromium polynicotinate)
- Molybdenum … 250mcg (as molybdenum glycinate chelate)
- Potassium … 100mg (as potassium chloride)
- Boron … 200mcg (as boron citrate)
- Vanadium … 150mcg (as bisglycinato oxovanadium)
- Silicon … 100mcg (from Horsetail herb, Equisetum arvense)
Chromium Dosage: 100 – 200 mcg before each meal helps keep blood sugar stable and reduces carb cravings. LDA Trace Mineral Complex should be taken with food.
Gymnema sylvestre herb
- Gymnemic acid – an active component isolated from Gymnema sylvestre – has anti-obesity and antidiabetic properties, decreases body weight and also inhibits glucose absorption. [source]
- Gymnema sylvestre is also known to have anti-oxidant, antibiotic, anti-inflammatory, antiviral, gastro and hepatoprotective, anticancer and lipid-lowering activities. [source]
- Gymnema sylvestre was found to have anticancer activity in various investigations. [source]
How to take Gymnema:
- Tea: Steep 2 tsp of Gymnema leaves for 10-15 minutes and consume the tea one to three times a day.
- Powder: Mix 1/2 tsp of Gymnema powder in water and consume.
- Capsules: Adults take 1 caplet twice daily before food.
Nora Gedgaudas writes in her book
- “… use of the herb Gymnema sylvestre can improve insulin sensitivity and utterly kill carb cravings in almost anyone.
- I see both L-glutamine and Gymnema as essentially temporary “bicycle training wheels” for that “sugar burning” to “fat burning” metabolism transition period.” [source]
Wolfberry NingXia Red
- Wolfberry balances the pancreas and is a detoxifier and cleanser.
- NingXia Wolfberry puree comprises 50% of the super supplement drink called NingXia Red.
- As a super antioxidant, it has unsurpassed ability to absorb the bad free radicals and deliver nutrients to support your body.
- NingXia Red – Try 2 oz a day.
Slique Essence – Add to drinking water
- Slique (\ˈslēk\) Essence combines grapefruit, tangerine, lemon, spearmint, and ocotea with stevia extract in a unique blend that supports healthy weight management goals.
- These ingredients work together to help control hunger.
- Ocotea essential oil (found in Slique Essence) adds an irresistible, cinnamon-like aroma to help control hunger and cravings.
How to Use Slique Essence
- Shake vigorously before use.
- Dietary Supplement: Add 2-4 drops to 4-6 oz. of your favorite beverage or water. Use as needed throughout the day whenever hungry.
Peppermint Essential Oil
Take a drop of peppermint on the tongue or in water 30 minutes before meals or as cravings hit.
Affiliate links are in this post. This is not medical advice. Consult with your physician. If you grab anything we mention using our referral links, we may get a small commission. However, there’s no cost to you.
Dealing with Post COVID-19 and vaccine injuryDecember 1st, 2023
Babassu OilNovember 18th, 2023
Castor Oil Uses and Castor Oil PacksNovember 13th, 2023
Penetrating Salve for Warts, Skin Tags, Corns or CallusesNovember 13th, 2023
Getting off Coffee?November 7th, 2023