Natural Support for Urinary Tract Infections
- More than 50% of women will experience a urinary tract infection in their lifetime.
- UTIs are commonly treated with antibiotics but due to increasing development of multidrug resistant strains, there is a need for alternative and complementary remedies
- Try to avoid taking antibiotics which damage the good bacteria in your gut, opening the door to issues like “leaky gut” or dysbiosis. Antibiotics can lead to yeast infections and not produce the healing your are hoping for.
- If you suffer from urinary tract infections (UTIs) regularly, there is a root problem not being addressed.
- Stock your cupboard with a few natural products so that you are ready when you first feel that little twinge.
d-Mannose urinary tract infections
D-mannose, a monosaccharide naturally found in fruits, is commonly marketed as a dietary supplement for reducing the risk for UTIs.
“D-mannose could be a promising alternative or complementary remedy especially as a prophylaxis for recurrent UTIs. When excreted in urine, D-mannose potentially inhibits Escherichia coli, the main causative organism of UTIs, from attaching to urothelium and causing infection.” [source]
E. coli is the causative organism in 85% of UTI cases and d-mannose works specifically against E. coli.
d-Mannose – More Potent than Cranberry
I recommend using d-mannose powder instead of cranberry juice.
Three d-Mannose options shown above
Try taking 1 to 2 grams every 3 hours for the first three days, or as needed.
- Protocol for Life Balance, 1/2 tsp is 1g, 85 grams (3oz) *Most economical
- Pure Encapsulations, 1 scoop is .9g, 50 grams (1.8 oz)
- Douglas Labs d-Mannose Powder, 1 scoop is .9g, 50 grams (1.8 oz)
- d-Mannose reaches the bladder in about 30 minutes.
- Once there it goes to work quickly, users often notice a difference in as little as 24hrs.
- d-Mannose adheres to receptor sites causing the bacteria like E. coli (bad bacteria) to slide off and out as you urinate.
Your best opportunity to stop a urinary tract infection is in the first 24 hours. At the first hint of something wrong, get to work with the strategies listed below.
Have d-Mannose on hand and begin using immediately when infection is suspected.
Sugar depresses your immune system. Starve the bacteria by cutting the sugar, grains, corn and flour from your diet. While you are dealing with a UTI be diligent to eat clean, unprocessed food, low in carbohydrate:
- No sugar, sweets, breads, cereals, pasta, chips, popcorn
- No soda, juice, flavored water, carbonated beverages, alcohol
- No dried fruits
- No starchy vegetables like white potatoes
- No mushrooms
Because of biochemical individuality you may be able to tolerate some whole fruit. Eat no more than 1-3 pieces per day of low-glycemic fruits like berries.
Enjoy fresh meat, vegetables, nuts, seeds, water, herbal tea, organic butter or ghee, raw unrefined coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil and Mac Nut Oil.
- Asparagus is beneficial for Urinary Tract Infections.
- Asparagus has antioxidants and is a natural diuretic. This will help with the formation of urine in the kidneys and assist the body in detoxing.
- Asparagus contains inulin which is beneficial in supporting your healthy gut microbes.
Drink Water, Raw Apple Cider Vinegar, Herbal Tea
- At the first hint of an infection, increase your water consumption and start hitting the infection hard with natural medicine.
- Drink 8 oz. of filtered water every hour. Tap water has chlorine and chemicals and toxins that disrupt your probiotics. Add a little Real Salt to your drinking water. It is important to replace electrolytes as your water consumption is increasing. Electrolytes can be replaced by adding 1/8 tsp pinch of mineral salt, like Real Salt, on the tip tongue followed by drinking one of your glasses of water, three times a day. Avoid all white salt which is devoid of balancing minerals.
- Add 1 Tbs raw apple cider vinegar to water a few times a day for the beneficial probiotics and enzymes.
- Drink herbal tea like Echinacea, goldenseal or Pau d’arco tea several times a day.
- Add 1 – 2 tsp. of coconut oil to your tea. Coconut oil has antimicrobial properties due to the lauric acid.
- Try making herbal infusions with cleavers herb.
- 1 Tbs organic Cleavers, steep in 2 cups hot water for 15 min.
- Alternatively: Take 3 heaping Tbs of organic nettles, steep in one quart of hot water in a jar, overnight. (Warm the canning jar, add the herb, add hot water, stir and cap.) Strain and drink.
Cleavers testimony: “One of my all time favorite herbs. I use Cleavers Herb for treating UTI’s and anything related to the urinary system. Just a cup a day (1 Tbs steeped for 15 mins) is a great preventative. If you need to treat anything though, I’d do two cups a day. I love the taste of the tea and I always add in a tablespoon of honey to my teas.” – Kendra
- Daily, take a good probiotic like Life 9
- Vitamin D3 5,000 IU per day with K2 added.
- Carlson’s cod liver oil (fight inflammation), Essential fatty acids – healing, preventing fungus from destroying cells
- Nutiva unrefined organic coconut oil (antibacterial and antimicrobial properties), work up to 1 – 3 Tbs per day
- Chewable Vitamin C, Super C, Food Form (fights infections and needed for repair)
- Magnesium, Try Mg Plus Guard, 3 capsules at bedtime
- Colloidal Silver
- Kyolic Aged Garlic
K & B – Support kidney and bladder function with a combination of juniper berries, parsley, uva ursi, and premium essential oils.
- K & B™ is formulated to nutritionally support normal kidney and bladder health.
- It contains extracts of juniper berries, which enhance the body’s efforts to maintain proper fluid balance; parsley, which supports kidney and bladder function and aids overall urinary health; and urva ursi, which supports both urinary and digestive system health.
- K & B is enhanced with therapeutic-grade essential oils.
Essential Oils can support the urinary tract and the immune system
Make capsules. I only use and recommend YL Oils. See the list here.
Using the Young Living essential oils labeled for dietary use make capsules with several drops each of essential oils from the list below (I have used 3 drops each of oregano, lemongrass and thieves in a capsules 4 times a day) The capsules can be taken several times a day.
- Thieves Essential Oil Blend
- Oregano essential oil
- Lemongrass essential oil
- Thyme essential oil
- Clove essential oil
Topical use of essential oils is also helpful. Try putting essential oils on a cotton cloth or pad:
- Juniper essential oil
- Frankincense essential oil
Natural RemediesGet T
Urinary tract infections seem to strike without warning.
Don’t be caught unprepared.
Stock your cabinet with a few things that you can use to support your body when you feel that little twinge and maybe you can head it off early.
Affiliate links are in this post. This is not medical advice. Consult with your physician.
If you grab anything we mention using our referral links, we may get a small commission. However, there’s no cost to you.
PseudoGout, CPPDFebruary 21st, 2024
Gentle Six Day Colon Cleanse ProgramFebruary 16th, 2024
Butyrate May Help: Gut Health, IBS, Constipation, Post-Antibiotic Gut IssuesFebruary 15th, 2024
Powerful Probiotic helps Post-Antibiotic UseFebruary 15th, 2024
Now you can do an easy at-home test to check your Omega-3’sFebruary 13th, 2024