Crowd Pleasing Beef Stew
Sometimes accidents happen.
I left this beef stew on the stove a bit too long and all the liquid was nearly gone, even though the pot was covered. The result…delicious, easy and healthy! It was an accidental reduction. The stock and water had evaporated leaving a concentration of flavor.
To intentionally create a reduction, try cooking the stew for 2.5 hours with the lid on the pot. Remove the lid and continue to slowly cook the stew, allowing the liquid to evaporate.
This photo was taken at the beginning of the cooking time:
- 2 pounds grass-fed stew meat
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 Tbs coconut oil
- 5 carrots cut in chunks
- 5 stalks celery cut in chunks
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 10 red potatoes, quartered
- 3 cups broth (gluten-free beef broth or bone broth)
- 3 Tbs Tomato Paste mixed in 1 cup of water
- 1/2 Tbs Thyme
- 1 tsp Rosemary
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 3/4+ tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Heat coconut oil in heavy pot with a tight fitting lid.
- Add onion and sauté a few minutes.
- Add beef stew meat and brown on all sides.
- Remove beef.
- Add spices.
- Add vegetables.
- Add broth, tomato paste and water.
- Return meat to the pan. Stir.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer about 3 hours.
Don’t Eat Grocery Store Pickles – Make Your Own!August 1st, 2023
Paleo FajitasJuly 1st, 2023
Green Smoothie with Spirulina and CollagenJune 11th, 2023
Potatoes and PomeraniansJune 7th, 2023