Dealing with Acne Naturally
Are you suffering with a skin condition like acne?
Many people are quick to pick up the latest greatest topical acne product and will spend plenty of money without enjoying the results they seek.
Truth: Acne and other skin conditions are healed from the inside out.
Focus on building a healthy digestive system with a good balance of friendly bacteria (probiotics) and top notch whole food nutrition.
The causes of acne are many, but often it is linked to hormonal imbalance.
This is why teenagers are prone to acne but adults may suffer too.
Acne may flare up with PMS, PCOS or with the use of oral contraceptives.
When the diet is out of balance this can lead to hormonal imbalance, so diet is very important.
Eating foods that are high in sugar and refined carbs (bread, cookies, crackers, pasta, candy) and unhealthy fats harm hormonal balance.
Other causes include, allergies, stress, reaction to medication and yeast infections.
- One of the best things you can do for your skin and health in general is drinking plenty of purified water.
- Divide your body weight in pounds by 2. This is the number of ounces to drink each day. (For example, if you weigh 120 pounds, then drink 60 ounces of water a day.)
- Avoid soda, fruit juice, energy drinks, coffee and most caffeinated tea.
- Green tea and herbal tea are fine to drink.
- Fermented kombucha, about 4 to 8 oz a day (like the Synergy brand) provide beneficial probiotics.
Best foods for clear skin
- Eat a lot of non-starchy vegetables! Enjoy plenty of dark green leafy vegetables.
- Onions, garlic, herbs, spices
- Deeply colored fruits such as berries
- Citrus fruits like lemons and orange
- Walnuts and almonds
- Zinc rich foods like grass-fed beef, lamb, liver, shellfish, sunflower and pumpkin seeds, nuts, sea vegetables, spinach
Foods to Avoid
- Sugar is the worst food to consume but any food that quickly turns to sugar in the body causes harm too. This includes bread, pasta, boxed cereal, bagels, donuts, cake, candy, cookies and crackers.
- Deep fried foods and breaded foods.
- All fast food.
- Processed foods with artificial ingredients.
- Watch out of artificial sweeteners like aspartame and Splenda/Sucralose which can cause acne.
- Pasteurized milk and milk products may cause acne. Try eliminating all dairy for a period of three weeks to see if dairy is a contributing factor.
- Iodized commercial salt (use Real Salt or Celtic salt instead).
- Coffee and other heavily caffeinated beverages make acne worse. These types of stimulants often throw the hormones off balance.
Supplements may be useful for maintaining clear, acne-free skin because they are healing, anti-inflammatory compounds or antioxidants.
- Vitamin D3
- Cod liver oil (Quality brands only! Carlsons, Nordic Naturals)
- Essential fatty acids keep the skin smooth and soft. They also are involved in repair and healing skin tissue.
- Cod liver oil has Vitamin A which protects and strengthens the skin.
1-2 tsp per day
- Vitamin B complex
- Helpful for stress
- Maintains skin tone and helps increase blood flow to the skin for healing.
- Super B is a comprehensive formula
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin C
- Needed for a healthy immune function and to make collagen for skin repair.
- Super C Chewable Tablets – have the superior food-form Vitamin C from Acerola Cherry, Rose Hips and Camu Camu.
- Zinc Plus*
- 15 – 30mg zinc picolinate or zinc citrate.
- Klaire Zinc Plus
- SulfurZyme – 2 Capsules three times a day
- Collagen Peptides
- “Collagen is one of the largest factors of keeping your skin healthy. It’s the main protein found in the connective tissues, which includes the skin. Collagen helps keep the skin soft, elastic, supple and smooth, but our natural production of collagen begins to start declining around age 25. Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides are a healthy natural source of collagen.” ~VitalProteins.com
Eating food that comes from a factory or out of a fast food window often has artificial chemicals, dyes, MSG, preservatives, trans fats and other additives that damage all cells in our body.
This damage is sometimes called oxidative stress.
Other things that cause oxidative stress are sugar, processed junk food, soft drinks, caffeine and even stress, lack of sleep and chemicals in our environment.
We can fight off cellular damage and help our skin cells and other cells be healthy by choosing unprocessed food like meat, fish, chicken, vegetables, fruit, healthy fats, nuts and seeds.
Fight free radicals
Antioxidants from many foods and plants stop dangerous free radicals that damage skin cells.
Foods like berries, broccoli, spinach, and kale are high in antioxidants. Vitamins like E and C are antioxidants and NingXia Red is a fantastic antioxidant drink.
Adding 1 – 2 oz of NingXia Red super antioxidant puree of the wolfberry, is a delicious way to ramp up antioxidants to fight the bad free radicals.
Inflammation is the normal process that the body uses to heal from injury. The problem comes from having chronic inflammation.
Chronic inflammation results from things like eating the wrong foods, not getting enough sleep, being stressed out, not drinking enough pure water, exposing ourselves to too many environmental chemicals and pollution.
When we eat the wrong foods and take certain medications like antibiotics we upset our digestive system and friendly bacteria. All these factors increase inflammation and cause excess sebum to be produced.
Sebum is the natural oil produced by the skin that keeps the skin hydrated and healthy. Sometimes, too much sebum is produced due to inflammation.
This is why I say that you heal your skin conditions from the inside out.
The most basic thing to do is eat whole foods and drink pure water.
Eat only healthy oils like extra virgin olive oil, raw unrefined coconut oil and organic butter, if you are not sensitive to dairy. Avoid all other vegetable oils and foods fried in these oils (corn, safflower, sunflower, soy, cottonseed, etc.). Consume healthy, quality animal protein and loads of vegetables at every meal.
Don’t Waste Your Money on Expensive Harsh Acne Products and Drugs
Try these safe alternatives
Clean the Face Naturally
Orange Blossom Facial Wash™ is a gentle, nonabrasive, free-rinsing cleanser that removes dirt and makeup without stripping skin of natural oils. It contains MSM to promote healthier and clearer skin, wolfberry seed oil to hydrate, and essential oils to soothe with aromatic benefits. Added botanicals protect skin from free radical damage.
Essential Oils known to support the skin (only use therapeutic grade)
These essential oils are gentle for the skin. Dab the essential oil on the affected areas at bedtime and in the morning. Use only therapeutic grade essential oils.
Raw Unrefined Coconut Oil (like Nutiva brand) is moisturizing, antimicrobial, anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory. It is a great natural remedy for all kinds of skin problems. You can cook with coconut oil and keep a jar in the bathroom. Apply to the face at night after treating the acne with essential oils like tea tree oil. Consume coconut oil daily.
- Raw, unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar (like Bragg’s brand)
Apple cider vinegar helps reduce acne. It balances skin pH and reduces bacteria. Raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar is cloudy not clear. When the bottle is allowed to sit undisturbed the “mother” will be seen on the bottom of the bottle. Shake before using!
- Raw Apple Cider Vinegar can also be taken internally to help balance pH. Take 1-3 tsp in a glass of water (rinse your mouth after drinking) before meals
- Topically, dilute the vinegar 50:50 with purified water. Put the vinegar on a cotton ball and use as an astringent, leaving on the skin 10 minutes. Rinse. If the 50:50 solution irritates the skin, try a more diluted solution.
Start your acne-healing program by eating clean for a week.
Go as far as eliminating all grains, sugar, and pasteurized (grocery story) dairy for one week focusing on vegetables (6-9 servings per day), clean protein, some low-sugar fruit, seeds, nuts and healthy fats (avocado, olives, olive oil, ghee, unrefined coconut oil).
Clear skin comes by working on the inside and not just using lotions on the outside.
Often the digestive system needs attention and healing.
Make and drink bone broth often and include a few ounces of aloe vera juice daily.
Other proteins can sometimes be difficult to digest, but collagen can help improve digestion and overall gut health. Try 1-2 scoops of Collagen Peptides in a beverage daily.
By following the food and beverage recommendations above and adding quality supplements you will be on your way to repairing your gut.
Beautiful skin can be yours!NOW
essential oils for acne United States, Canada, Mexico, Europe doter now eden heal acne
Why I Kicked My Keurig to the CurbMay 7th, 2018
Do You Love Beets but Hate to Prepare Them?May 6th, 2018
Feeding Children & Babies – Not Cereal!May 2nd, 2018
NingXia Red Starter PackApril 12th, 2018