Carb Cravings & Solutions – Supplements and Essential Oils
Are you trying to improve your health by eliminating sugar and grains from your diet?
In the beginning many people struggle with carb cravings not realizing that grains and sugar are as addicting as drugs.
When I work with people helping them improve their nutrition, I encourage them to BE ALL IN!
Cheating – even a nibble of bread or a brownie – can set you back in conquering carb cravings.
Usually after 5 – 7 days, the cravings die down, but not if you are continuing to eat the addictive foods here and there.
If you are not sure what a healthy, healing way of eating involves, then start with my book, The Reclaim Diet.
In the beginning remember a few D’s:
- Drink! Immediately drink a full glass of water when tempted. Often our hunger and cravings can be satisfied by drinking water.
- Delay! When you think you are about to eat a food that is not on your real food plan, think DELAY! Think, “maybe I’ll eat it, but for now, I’m going to put that decision off for 15 minutes.”
- Distract! When cravings hit, find an immediate distraction. Leave the area with the food and go for a walk, pick up your knitting needles, call a friend, or do some jumping jacks!
- Divert! Have healthy snacks ready. Divert the craving and eat a snack containing protein and fat if possible, like a handful of nuts. Or even, eat a spoonful of unrefined coconut oil.
- Drop! Take a drop of Peppermint Vitality on your tongue. Peppermint is known to reduce cravings. Put a drop on your palm and lick it off.
Nora Gedgaudas, nutritionist, has practical advice for dealing with the carb cravings in the first few weeks of a low carb way of eating. Supplements will help while the body is switching from being a sugar-burner to a fat-burner.
- Just ½ tsp of powdered L-glutamine under the tongue 2 or 3 times a day (or as needed) seem to be sufficient for most.
- The brain can use L-glutamine in lieu of glucose while metabolic conversions to fat and ketone burning over sugar burning are taking place.
- Gymnema sylvestre can improve insulin sensitivity and utterly kill carb cravings in almost anyone. Take it three times a day.
- Actually getting Gymnema on one’s tongue by chewing Gymnema tablets or liquid can even destroy your ability to so much as taste sugar for a few hours—a cruel (perhaps) but effective tool in indulgence management….suitable for curbing all sweet temptations at holiday parties.
- I see both L-glutamine and Gymnema as essentially temporary “bicycle training wheels” for that “sugar burning” to “fat burning” metabolism transition period.
Glucose Balance Px
Herbs and trace minerals combine to support healthy glucose metabolism, facilitate glucose transport and support glycogen storage. This formula supports healthy liver function and promotes balanced fat and glucose metabolism. Milk thistle helps maintain normal levels of superoxide dismutase (SOD) and glutathione peroxidase (GPx) enzymes.• Contributes to Healthy Blood Sugar Metabolism*
|Amount Per Serving (3 capsules)|
|Vanadium (BGOV)||2700 mcg|
|Chromium (polynicotinate)||900 mcg|
|Gymnema sylvestre extract, 25% Gymnemic Acid||1200 mg|
|Organic Nopal Cactus Powder||315 mg|
|Alpha Lipoic Acid||300 mg|
|Organic Milk Thistle seed||225 mg|
|Milk Thistle Seed Extract (80% Silymarin UV)||75 mg|
|Minimum Constituent Bio Marker Per Dose:|
|Gymnemic Acid Glycosides||240 mg|
|Silymarin Flavonoids (HPLC)||45 mg|
- Wheat Free
- Dairy/ Milk Free
- Gluten Free
- Soy Free
- Sugar Free
- Corn Free
Get The Reclaim Diet – learn how to eat to beat cravings.
Everyone Needs to Know: MTHFRSeptember 21st, 2023
Apple Cider Vinegar for HealthSeptember 20th, 2023
Supporting Your Immune SystemSeptember 17th, 2023
Insomnia and Buttered CigarettesSeptember 15th, 2023