How to make Freeze Dried Fruit
How does a freeze dryer work?
The food is prepared and placed on a tray in the home freeze dryer.
For fruit, I typically slice the fruit into uniform pieces. Blueberries work best if they are cut in half first, otherwise the berry does not freeze dry completely and uniformly.
The entire freeze drying process is automatic. I like to pre-freeze food before I put it in the freeze dryer. I get better, faster results.
How cold does the freeze dryer get?
1. Raw or cooked foods are placed in the freeze dryer where they are frozen to between -30 degrees and -50 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Once frozen, the freeze dryer creates a vacuum in the food chamber.
3. As the food is gradually warmed, the water turns to vapor and evaporates out of the food (sublimation).
4. When dry, the freeze dryer notifies the user that the process is complete by sounding an audible beep.
5. You can then remove the freeze dried food from the dryer and place it in vacuum-sealed containers that are moisture and oxygen proof (preferably a mylar pouch or a can) to ensure freshness until opened.
6. When water is added to the food, it regains its original fresh flavor, aroma, texture, and appearance!
Purchase fruit in season
Purchase fruit in season to preserve its peak flavor, nutrients and shape. Freeze drying removes more moisture than traditional drying, leaving a flavorful, but crispy, food.
When you use a home freeze dryer to preserve fruit, you will always have great tasting, nutrient-rich fruit on hand for your favorite recipes or for snacking.
Freeze Dried Bananas
Freeze dried bananas are sweet and delicious.
They have a little bit of crunch and melt in your mouth. Freeze dried bananas can be eaten without further prep or rehydration.
They are nothing like dehydrated banana chips, which are hard and unappealing to me.
Freeze Dried Plums
Rehydrate fruit with water, a ratio of 1:1 usually works. A half cup of fruit will rehydrate to 1 cup of fruit. Delicious as a crunchy snack — no rehydration required!
How to Use Freeze Dried Fruit
Freeze dried fruit makes a great snack and is lightweight for backpacking and camping food. Enjoy adding freeze dried fruit to your smoothie, yogurt or any recipe calling for fresh fruit.
What Fruit will Freeze Dry
Fruit is perfect for freeze drying. It is delicious and easy to prepare.
From apples to watermelons, all you need to do is cut it into good-sized pieces that fit onto the trays.
Try These Fruits in your Home Freeze Dryer
This picture shows apples that have already been freeze dried. It is beautiful and still looks fresh doesn’t it?
- Passion Fruit
What Foods Work Best for Home Freeze Drying?
Nearly every food can be freeze-dried, including meat, cheese, fruits, vegetables, and dairy. In addition, entire meals can be freeze-dried for short or long- term storage.
Eggs may also be raw or cooked when freeze dried. Tip: Scramble 18 eggs per freeze drying tray. Prefreeze the eggs if possible.
Cheese, meat, and vegetables can be mixed in with the eggs prior to drying. Raw, freeze-dried eggs are great for baking and can be used to make great omelets and scrambled eggs.
How much is a Home Freeze Dryer?
There are three sizes of freeze dryers to choose from. I have the medium.
INCLUDES: Freeze Dryer, Vacuum Pump, Vacuum Pump Oil, Oil Filter, Stainless Steel Trays, Guide to Freeze Drying, Mylar Bags (50 ct), Oxygen Absorbers (50 ct), Impulse Sealer.
More Freeze Dried Recipes
- How to Make Freeze Dried Fruit
How to Make Freeze Dried Chicken and Onions
How to Make Freeze Dried Apples
How to Make Freeze Dried Chili
How to Make Freeze Dried Eggs. How to Use Freeze Dried Eggs.
How to make Freeze Dried Beet Powder
How to make Freeze Dried Tuscan Chicken
How to make Freeze Dried Sliced Beef Sirloin
This post contains affiliate links.
- Paleo Freeze Dried Recipes
- Freeze Dried Paleo
- Freeze Dried Mama
- Freeze Dried Paleo Recipes