Improving Gut Health
Do you have these symptoms?
- Upset stomach
The elimination diet is a good first step toward healing digestive issues.
I outline step-by-step how to do the elimination diet in my book, The Reclaim Diet.
You will eat grain-free, dairy-free, and remove soy, corn, artificial sweeteners, refined oils and processed foods. Raw nuts can be very hard to digest and may cause stomach pains unless soaked.
- Quality protein (grass-fed, organic, free-range, wild caught)
- Quality natural fat (Kerrygold butter, organic ghee, extra virgin olive oil, unrefined coconut oil, Mac Nut Oil, avocado oil, olives, nuts, seeds, avocado).
- Vegetables (not canned, not frozen in sauce) at every meal. 1-2 cups.
- Fruit, whole (1-3 servings per day). Seeds and nuts.
- Water – drink purified water, half your body weight in ounces of water.
- Organic herbal tea, coconut water, Kombucha (like Synergy) are fine. Organic coffee (avoid creamers and use canned coconut milk, Kerrygold butter or organic cream without carrageenan). Sweeten with liquid stevia drops if desired.
- Avoid soda, juice, energy drinks, non-organic tea
Here’s what I recommend as a starting place
- Get on a whole food diet, focusing on protein, healthy fat, non-starchy vegetables and limited whole fruit.
- Use Real Salt only and avoid processed salt. Avoid eating processed food with junk oil and junk salt.
- Don’t drink anything with meals, it dilutes the stomach acid.
- Drink 2 ounces of Lily of the Desert Aloe Vera Juice. Mix in 8 oz of water. Soothing, healing for digestion
- Take 1-2 tsp of Klaire L-glutamine powder per day in a glass of water. Nourishes and heals the gut
- Take a probiotic like Mercola’s Complete probiotic, Wellevate Item#:DM3185 or Klaire Pro-5, Item#: PRO5.
- Take Digestive Enzymes with your two largest meals. (I like Young Living EssentialZymes-4) or Klaire Vital-Zymes Complete on Wellevate.
- Make and drink bone broth. Try to consume 2 cups a day.
- Eat a forkful of fermented veggies (like Bubbies Kraut) at meals.
- Use supporting essential oils DiGize and Peppermint (see below)
If you aren’t digesting your food well it is putrefying in your gut (lovely), gases build up – bloating too. This signals a dysbiosis (upset between good bacteria and bad bacteria). Nourish and heal the cells of the gut lining by taking L-Glutamine. Take quality probiotics and digestive enzymes, eat cultured vegetables (more on that some other time), quit processed foods, refined oils, sugar and grain/dairy foods.
- Glutamine, the most abundant amino acid in the body, helps form other amino acids, glucose, protein, and glutathione.
- Glutamine is stored in the muscles and is the primary metabolic fuel for the cells of the small intestine, fibroblasts, and the immune system.
- Supplementation with glutamine can help support gut cell proliferation and mucosal integrity, resulting in decreased intestinal permeability and healthy immune function.
- Strengthens and repairs the gut lining
- Improves concentration, focus, and memory
- Assists in weight loss
- Burns fat
- Decreases sugar and alcohol cravings
L-Glutamine is believed to help with a variety of gut issues, including constipation. Infrequent and/or incomplete bowel movements are typical signs of constipation. (It is also the opposite of diarrhea.) Irritable bowel syndrome is a possible cause of constipation.
L-Glutamine plays a key role in this process by helping to quickly restore the gut lining and regenerate newer, healthier cells naturally. These new cells are the key in repairing the intestines and eliminating leaky gut. Thanks to L-Glutamine, the healing typically starts within 30 days, with it being repaired in approximately 12 weeks. For those with chronic health problems in the intestines, healing may take anywhere from 12 to 24 months in most cases.
L-Glutamine is a non-essential amino acid that works best when eating a clean, healthy diet and avoiding fried and processed foods. This powerful 1-2 combination can help the body repair the intestines naturally without the use of modern medications and their harmful side effects.
How & When to Take L-Glutamine
Suggested Use: 1 scoop daily mixed with water, juice, food, or as directed by a healthcare professional.
Caution: If you are pregnant, nursing, have a medical condition, or taking prescription drugs, consult your physician before using this product.
Klaire L-Glutamine is free of the following common allergens: milk/casein, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat/gluten, corn, yeast, and soybeans. Contains no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives.
The number of times a person takes L-Glutamine per day can vary depending on the reason for its use, ranging from once per day to several times daily.
Digestive Support with Essential Oils
These essential oils help with upset stomach, and supports digestive function.
Oldest and most highly regarded to support healthy normal digestion, including promoting healthy intestinal function and GI system comfort.
Use peppermint topically, rub over stomach or chest area.
Use Peppermint Vitality as a dietary supplement by adding a drop to water or adding the essential oil to a capsule for digestive support.
Use with every meal. Topical use, rub over stomach or chest area.
DiGize Vitality – Dietary supplement in water or capsule when you travel.
Tarragon, Ginger, Peppermint, Juniper, Fennel, Lemongrass, Anise, and Patchouli